Carry on dredging
I HAVE been reading about the flooding in the Huntingdonshire area and the so-called expense of raising the roads to prevent it (The Hunts Post, February 18). Would it not be a good idea to dredge the rivers and brooks – and also the dykes – to keep them
I HAVE been reading about the flooding in the Huntingdonshire area and the so-called expense of raising the roads to prevent it (The Hunts Post, February 18).
Would it not be a good idea to dredge the rivers and brooks - and also the dykes - to keep them clear, so they can take more of the water?
I have been along the river in Huntingdon in a boat and seen the state of the banks, where trees and reeds are clogging up the river. In Alconbury Weston, the brook is so full of reeds and rubbish that there is enough room for only one duck to swim along at a time.
I know what the environmentalists are going to say: that it is going to harm the wildlife in the water but, if all the rubbish is put on the banks, any wildlife will find its way back into the river, and birds and ducks and suchlike will be able to build their nests on the banks.
Also, why do we have to have all these fords along the brook? They are not used today as they were in years gone by. If the banks were built up, there would be room for the water, and not so many places for water to flood onto the roads.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 3 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 4 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 8 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 The St Neots Crazy Skaters prepare to roller skate in aid of children in Ukraine