SO much is said about the bad behaviour of young people today that I wanted to relate a good experience I had in Huntingdon. On May 1, I was waiting at the bus stop under the A14 flyover by the railway station to catch the 10.10am 571 bus to Hinchingbrook
SO much is said about the bad behaviour of young people today that I wanted to relate a good experience I had in Huntingdon.
On May 1, I was waiting at the bus stop under the A14 flyover by the railway station to catch the 10.10am 571 bus to Hinchingbrooke Hospital for an appointment at 10.30am. As the bus approached, I put out my hand for it to stop, only to watch in disbelief as the driver ignored me and sailed past. I am a pensioner and I know that I'm not very tall, but I don't think I'm invisible.
Two young ladies - possibly sixth formers at Hinchingbrooke School - came up to me and told me they had seen what had happened and that they had taken the details of the bus in case I wanted to complain.
They could see that I was rather upset and they stood and chatted with me. I was grateful for the company - and very pleasant company it was. When the next bus arrived, one of the girls stood in front of me and waved the driver down to make sure he stopped.
As the bus pulled away, I realised that my two Samaritans hadn't got on with me but were waving goodbye. It seems that they had just stayed with me to make sure that I got on the next bus safely.
I wish I had taken their names. I hope they will read this and know I am truly very grateful for their help. It has restored my faith in young people.
- 1 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 2 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 3 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 4 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 5 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 6 See the average house price for Cambridgeshire's 'top' villages
- 7 Jail for man who threatened to kill former girlfriend
- 8 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 9 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 10 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14
CELIA BOOTH, Brampton Road, Huntingdon