Campaign to target drink and drug drivers starts
DRINK-DRIVERS and drug drivers in Cambridgeshire are to be targeted with spot checks in a week-long police campaign extending across Europe. The campaign, by TISPOL, Traffic Information System Police, began on Monday. Officers will stop drivers and test t
DRINK-DRIVERS and drug drivers in Cambridgeshire are to be targeted with spot checks in a week-long police campaign extending across Europe.
The campaign, by TISPOL, Traffic Information System Police, began on Monday. Officers will stop drivers and test them for both drink and drugs.
During the Christmas drink drive campaign in Cambridgeshire, 201 people were caught driving over the limit between December 1 2006 and January 1 2007.
Inspector Ron Simkins said: "With the summer here, there is bound to be an increase in the number of people going out and drinking.
You may also want to watch:
"It is never safe to drive while under the influence of drink or drugs and we will not tolerate it on the roads of Cambridgeshire.
"These people may think they are safe to drive but they are mistaken. A number of drivers involved in the most serious collisions have either failed a breath test or had samples taken at hospital. Each time someone gets behind the wheel and drives under the influence they are not only putting themselves at risk but also the lives of others.
- 1 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 2 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 3 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 4 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 5 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 6 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 7 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 8 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 9 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 10 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
"If you are going out and planning to drink, pre-plan how you are going to get home, book a taxi or nominate a non-drinker to drive.