CAMBS: St Ives lights up for Christmas
NEW lights in Bridge Street, funfair rides, markets and entertainment marked the start of the festive season in St Ives on Sunday (December 2) as the town lit up for Christmas.
An estimated two thousand people watched the lights being switch on by Father Christmas, the Mayor Debbie Townsend and the winners of a competition, St Ives children Annie and Lenny Weaver, aged seven and six.
Despite the icy chill in the air, St Ives attracted a steady stream of shoppers and visitors throughout the day with an international market, Christmas fair and craft fair, music and entertainment on offer.
“It was very enjoyable,” said Cllr Townsend. “People came out and supported the town as always, the Corn Exchange craft fair was very busy as was the twinning association selling gluhwein.”
The town also unveiled its new lights for Bridge Street and, for the first time in about four years, organised a best dressed Christmas window display – the winner was Clearer Hearing in Crown Street.
You may also want to watch:
“We chose Clearer Hearing because they paired up with Thorndown school and asked the children to make some stars which were displayed on the window – it was a good winner and includes a snow machine.”
Over in Ramsey the action all took place on Saturday night – ending with a firework display after Christine Hamilton, wife of former MP Neil and a former contestant on I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, switched on the lights.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 6 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 7 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 8 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 9 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 10 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man