Cambs restuarant destroyed in fire finds new home
A THRIVING family-run Chinese restaurant that was destroyed by a huge is being temporarily relocated to a village 30 miles away. More than 50 firefighters battled the blaze at the Yim Wah House at Caxton Gibbet on Saturday, March 21, but the building was
A THRIVING family-run Chinese restaurant that was destroyed by a huge is being temporarily relocated to a village 30 miles away.
More than 50 firefighters battled the blaze at the Yim Wah House at Caxton Gibbet on Saturday, March 21, but the building was badly damaged.
The restaurant has been owned by 65-year-old Fookyu Yeung and family since 1996.
The family are hoping to rebuild and reopen the restaurant within a year at an estimated cost of �1.2million.
You may also want to watch:
However, they are still waiting to hear from insurers to see if any of the Caxton site can be salvaged or if it has to be knocked down.
Until the Caxton site can be reopened, the business is being temporarily relocated in a rented building in Brook Street, Soham
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 5 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 6 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
The temporary restaurant will have space for 60 diners and should open on June 8.
Hanson Moh, general manager, said: "I am feeling very positive about the place in Soham. We are hoping to attract our loyal customers as well as new ones.
"We would like to thank all our customers, friends and neighbours who have kindly e-mailed messages of encouragement to us.
"The public support we have received since the fire has been overwhelming, and it is providing us with the encouragement to rebuild the business. Thank you to you all."
Mr Moh added that the Soham place could become a long-term venture as the premise has outside space for a marquee to provide an additional 100 covers.
The cause of the fire was accidental but because of the extent of damage a fire investigators have been unable to find out how it started.