Cambs fire service issue warning to Easter holiday hoax callers
HOAX callers are being warned that they could see their phones disconnected and face police action for making nuisance calls to the fire service. Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the reminder to people who dial 999 or smash break glass
HOAX callers are being warned that they could see their phones disconnected and face police action for making nuisance calls to the fire service.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the reminder to people who dial 999 or smash 'break glass' alarms when there is no emergency.
Last summer in a bid to get tough on hoax callers, CFRS lowered the age of prosecution from 16 to 10.
Since then the service has since a 13.5 per cent decrease, from 185 during September
You may also want to watch:
2008 to January 2009 to 160 during September 2009 to January 2010.
But CFRS say the number is still too high and fear the Easter holidays could see the numbers increase.
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 5 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
Teri Seaber, group manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Service said: "The Easter holidays is traditionally a time when hoax calls increase. We are appealing to hoax callers themselves and also to their parents and guardians to explain just how dangerous it is to make a hoax call.
"The punishments for being caught making a hoax call range from the disconnection of your mobile phone, receiving a fine, or in extreme circumstances, facing police action, including prosecution.