Cambs county 'Top recycler'
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council continues to be one of the top recycling shire authorities in the country. With our district council partners and the help of local people, we are actively promoting a greener environment throughout the county. It is therefor
CAMBRIDGESHIRE County Council continues to be one of the top recycling shire authorities in the country. With our district council partners and the help of local people, we are actively promoting a greener environment throughout the county.
It is therefore a major disappointment to those who take recycling seriously to witness the distinct division between the Conservative policies on waste and recycling and those of our Liberal Democrats.
Our recycling centres around the county are doing excellent work, but there is a question of education as far as the Liberal Democrats are concerned. Recent statements refer to "the tip". What message does that send to those who believe that continued recycling and the green agenda are vital for our future?
A recent article in a Liberal Democrat leaflet complains about the facilities at Alconbury. As with our other centres, the Alconbury site is well managed and the staff there are known for their excellent customer service. Indeed, my wife has twice visited the site recently and is very effusive about the help she received from those who manage the facility.
"Tips" do not come into the county council's thinking. We prefer to talk about our recycling agenda. Indeed, the county council is committed to improving facilities throughout the county. The new treatment centre at Waterbeach will mean the reduction of landfill. We are progressing well with an ambitious programme of new indoor recycling centres, the first of which is due to open in St Neots in September.
The closure of one facility does not mean a reduction in our recycling agenda. Far from it, it represents an improvement. The new centres will be much more environmentally-friendly and will focus on customer service.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Elderly woman dies in serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 4 House set alight in Brampton
- 5 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 6 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 7 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Pedestrian killed crossing road
County Councillor Sir PETER BROWN
Portfolio holder for waste and recycling