Cambs councillors will return to 25% allowances hike
I WOULD like to thank the many hundreds of Huntingdonshire residents who said ‘No to 25 per cent’ by signing the petition, on-line or on paper, in an attempt to persuade county councillors that they should not have voted a 25 per cent increase in councillors’ allowances.
Belatedly, it emerged that the independent remuneration panel (whose report was used to justify the increase) had not been set up correctly. Because of this technical hitch, the decision has now been quashed.
However, the council intends to set up a new panel in the near future so the issue of councillor allowances remains a live one.
If you agree with the view that an increase of this size is inappropriate at a time when council services to the most vulnerable are being cut, you can still sign the petition on line. Go to www.saynoto25percent.com
Councillor PETER DOWNES
County councillor, Brampton and Kimbolton
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary