Cambs councillors will return to 25% allowances hike
I WOULD like to thank the many hundreds of Huntingdonshire residents who said ‘No to 25 per cent’ by signing the petition, on-line or on paper, in an attempt to persuade county councillors that they should not have voted a 25 per cent increase in councillors’ allowances.
Belatedly, it emerged that the independent remuneration panel (whose report was used to justify the increase) had not been set up correctly. Because of this technical hitch, the decision has now been quashed.
However, the council intends to set up a new panel in the near future so the issue of councillor allowances remains a live one.
If you agree with the view that an increase of this size is inappropriate at a time when council services to the most vulnerable are being cut, you can still sign the petition on line. Go to www.saynoto25percent.com
Councillor PETER DOWNES
You may also want to watch:
County councillor, Brampton and Kimbolton
- 1 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 5 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 8 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 9 Village Focus: Silver coins among ancient finds in Hartford
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter