Cambs councillors reject referendum on A14 upgrade £25million contribution
- Credit: Archant
THERE will not be a referendum on whether Cambridgeshire County Council will contribute £25million to the A14 upgrade after councillors rejected the proposal.
St Ives councillor Paul Bullen tabled the motion at today’s full council meeting (Tuesday) to hold a consultation and referendum on CCC’s contribution but the idea was rejected by 51 votes to 14.
Cllr Bullen said the referendum would give people choice on transport schemes and could be carried out cheaply, a figure of around £500,000.
Council leader Martin Curtis said Cambridge residents use the A14 regularly and the congested road holds business back. He added that on average a person is injured on the A14 every two days.
He said the council couldn’t afford not to upgrade the A14 which will benefit the county far more than the £25million proposed investment.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Ian Bates, who represents The Hemingfords and Fenstanton, said 905 people had been injured on the A14 over last five years “and we owe it to them to improve it”.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 5 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 6 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 9 Entrepreneur and family businessman Philip Lalor has died
- 10 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal