Cambridge Band Competition update
THIS year s annual Cambridge Band Competition, now two heats in, has already been a cracker with a fine range of talent delighting the audiences at the Junction. Rock band Symbo, who many believe were an outside choice, deservedly won the first heat with
THIS year's annual Cambridge Band Competition, now two heats in, has already been a cracker with a fine range of talent delighting the audiences at the Junction.
Rock band Symbo, who many believe were an outside choice, deservedly won the first heat with a sterling performance, overcoming three acts including hotly tipped rockers The Vices.
Last week's heat saw The Alex Harris Band triumph. Harris, a much needed boost of pop, commerciality and catchiness in a scene often dominated by heavier rock bands, won the competition in 1999 and are seen as strong contenders to go all the way this year.
Today (Wednesday) St Ives hopefuls Plus Guest battle against arty noise-makers Mr Zed, retro rockers The Beards and the witty songwriting of Colonel Bastard. With audiences more than 300 for each event, this year has so far been nothing but a success.
DETAILS: Tickets for each heat are £4, doors open at 7pm with the first act on stage at 8pm.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 4 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 8 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 9 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today