Cambourne sports centre back on track
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year. It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year.
It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed this month.
However, the Cambourne Consortium of Developers said that date became unachievable and is now looking to start work next autumn and open by the end of 2011.
A planning application is due to be submitted in March to South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) and discussions with the centre operator, Active Nation, will begin.
You may also want to watch:
Once built the new facility will have a four-court sports hall and a fully-equipped gym and will be available to residents in Cambourne and neighbouring villages.
Developers are also looking at including a swimming pool, but this would be in a second phase of building work.
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
Project director Neville Stebbing said: "We appreciate that residents have waited a long time for their sports centre and we are grateful for their patience.
"We have been working hard to deliver this excellent new facility, which I am sure will be well used. With the support of SCDC and the parish council we hope to bring this into use as soon as possible."
INFORMATION: To find out more, visit www.cambourne-uk.com