Cambourne sports centre back on track
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year. It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year.
It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed this month.
However, the Cambourne Consortium of Developers said that date became unachievable and is now looking to start work next autumn and open by the end of 2011.
A planning application is due to be submitted in March to South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) and discussions with the centre operator, Active Nation, will begin.
Once built the new facility will have a four-court sports hall and a fully-equipped gym and will be available to residents in Cambourne and neighbouring villages.
Developers are also looking at including a swimming pool, but this would be in a second phase of building work.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 6 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
Project director Neville Stebbing said: "We appreciate that residents have waited a long time for their sports centre and we are grateful for their patience.
"We have been working hard to deliver this excellent new facility, which I am sure will be well used. With the support of SCDC and the parish council we hope to bring this into use as soon as possible."
INFORMATION: To find out more, visit www.cambourne-uk.com