Cambourne sports centre back on track
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year. It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed
PLANS for an eagerly-awaited multi-million sports centre at Cambourne will soon be back in the starting blocks with construction work set to start next year.
It had been hoped the state-of-the-art sports and leisure centre for Back Lane would be completed this month.
However, the Cambourne Consortium of Developers said that date became unachievable and is now looking to start work next autumn and open by the end of 2011.
A planning application is due to be submitted in March to South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) and discussions with the centre operator, Active Nation, will begin.
You may also want to watch:
Once built the new facility will have a four-court sports hall and a fully-equipped gym and will be available to residents in Cambourne and neighbouring villages.
Developers are also looking at including a swimming pool, but this would be in a second phase of building work.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 6 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 7 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 8 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 9 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 10 'Am I being overcharged for gas and electricity'?
Project director Neville Stebbing said: "We appreciate that residents have waited a long time for their sports centre and we are grateful for their patience.
"We have been working hard to deliver this excellent new facility, which I am sure will be well used. With the support of SCDC and the parish council we hope to bring this into use as soon as possible."
INFORMATION: To find out more, visit www.cambourne-uk.com