By George, they’ve got it just write!
A NATIONAL newspaper travel writer has chosen a Buckden hotel as one of her favourite places, calling it welcoming and supremely comfortable . Travel writer Paddy Burt, who writes a column called Room Service in the Saturday Telegraph, has picked out Th
A NATIONAL newspaper travel writer has chosen a Buckden hotel as one of her favourite places, calling it "welcoming and supremely comfortable".
Travel writer Paddy Burt, who writes a column called Room Service in the Saturday Telegraph, has picked out The George Hotel and Brassiere, in Buckden High Street, for special mention.
Paddy, who tours Britain sampling some of the best and worst inns and hotels, said it was one of her favourite places to visit in 2005.
After staying in the hotel in September, she described the beds as "supremely comfortable", the reception as "welcoming" and the food as "sensational".
You may also want to watch:
She also described the interior as "modern and stylish in a way that doesn't distract from the original building".
She concluded her review by saying The George is "a salutary lesson on how to get it right to the many that don't".
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 3 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 4 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 5 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 6 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 7 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 10 Brampton butchers win awards for delicious pies and sausages
The George is owned by the Anne Furbank Group, which took eight months in 2003 to refurbish it. Each room is named after a famous George.
Mrs Furbank also owns the adjoining fashion shop Anne Furbank.
She and her team have won national fashion awards from Drapers magazine and Hunts Post Huntingdonshire Business Awards.
She said: "To be in her top five is just wonderful - I'm thrilled. It's a real credit to all the staff who work so hard."
General manager of The George Hotel, Cynthia Schaeffer, said: "We aim to be first class with our service and our food. It is a real pat on the back for everyone involved."
INFORMATION: To find out more visit www.thegeorgebuckden.co.uk or phone 01480 812300.
* To read the review, you can visit www.telegraph.co.uk/paddyindex