By George, they’ve got it just write!
A NATIONAL newspaper travel writer has chosen a Buckden hotel as one of her favourite places, calling it welcoming and supremely comfortable . Travel writer Paddy Burt, who writes a column called Room Service in the Saturday Telegraph, has picked out Th
A NATIONAL newspaper travel writer has chosen a Buckden hotel as one of her favourite places, calling it "welcoming and supremely comfortable".
Travel writer Paddy Burt, who writes a column called Room Service in the Saturday Telegraph, has picked out The George Hotel and Brassiere, in Buckden High Street, for special mention.
Paddy, who tours Britain sampling some of the best and worst inns and hotels, said it was one of her favourite places to visit in 2005.
After staying in the hotel in September, she described the beds as "supremely comfortable", the reception as "welcoming" and the food as "sensational".
She also described the interior as "modern and stylish in a way that doesn't distract from the original building".
She concluded her review by saying The George is "a salutary lesson on how to get it right to the many that don't".
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 3 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 4 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 5 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 6 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 7 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 8 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
The George is owned by the Anne Furbank Group, which took eight months in 2003 to refurbish it. Each room is named after a famous George.
Mrs Furbank also owns the adjoining fashion shop Anne Furbank.
She and her team have won national fashion awards from Drapers magazine and Hunts Post Huntingdonshire Business Awards.
She said: "To be in her top five is just wonderful - I'm thrilled. It's a real credit to all the staff who work so hard."
General manager of The George Hotel, Cynthia Schaeffer, said: "We aim to be first class with our service and our food. It is a real pat on the back for everyone involved."
INFORMATION: To find out more visit www.thegeorgebuckden.co.uk or phone 01480 812300.
* To read the review, you can visit www.telegraph.co.uk/paddyindex