Bury: Children present their giant sculpture
BIG ED: A series of giants heads, designed and created by Cambridgeshire children, were unveiled last week at sites across the county. The sculptures are located at each of Cambridgeshire County Council s outdoor education centres - Grafham Water Cen
BIG 'ED: A series of giants' heads, designed and created by Cambridgeshire children, were unveiled last week at sites across the county.
The sculptures are located at each of Cambridgeshire County Council's outdoor education centres - Grafham Water Centre, Burwell House and Stibbington Centre.
Children were asked for artwork on the theme of outdoor learning opportunities and their ideas were then turned into sculptures made of bricks and concrete by artist David Swinton.
Youngsters from Bury Primary School helped create the giants' head at Burwell House. It is named Ed after the builder of Burwell House, Edward Ball.
At the Grafham Water centre, staff worked with Mr Swinton to create a piece of work that reflects the experiences gained by youngsters who use Grafham Water.
The sculpture, called Awakening,, is said to show a sleeping giant that is waking up to the possibilities at the centre.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
The project was funded by the county council to promote arts and culture in Cambridgeshire.
Our picture shows Bury Primary School pupils at Burwell House with the giants' head they helped design. Pictured at the back is headteacher Peter Allen, James Dawkins, Councillor John Powley and David Swinton.