Building work to start on St Neots Community Centre
AFTER years of planning, building work is set to begin next month on a new £1.2million community centre for St Neots. A turf cutting ceremony was held at the Maltings in Eaton Socon on Friday, August 15 to mark the start of work on the Eatons Community C
AFTER years of planning, building work is set to begin next month on a new £1.2million community centre for St Neots.
A turf cutting ceremony was held at the Maltings in Eaton Socon on Friday, August 15 to mark the start of work on the Eatons Community Centre.
The contractors Deejaks Ltd provided a JCB and deputy mayor Cllr Alan Cummings started the dig on behalf of the town council.
The mayor, Cllr Bob Eaton signed a memorandum with Pastor Rob McFarland of the River Church who will be using the centre and assisting with the project costs.
You may also want to watch:
Philip Devonald, clerk to St Neots Town Council, said: "The idea for a community centre for the Eatons was first aired four years ago."
He added: "We have had a lot of interest from local organisations and community groups keen to use the centre and we have no doubt that we will be able to fill it. It is much needed and it will be a well used multi purpose community centre."
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
Already signed up to use the facilities is the town's youth service, a seniors luncheon club and a karate group.
The two-storey building has planning permission for a 50 place pre-school, a large hall for about 200 people, a bar, kitchen, storage area and two medium sized rooms upstairs.
Building work is due to start on September 1 and is estimated to take about 35 weeks.
St Neots town councillor, Cllr Julia Hayward said: "I'm delighted we have reached this important milestone, and look forward to watching the building we've waited so long for gradually materialise in the coming months."
INFORMATION: Anyone wanting more information about the new community centre, should phone Mr Devonald on 01480 388911.