Building work to start on St Neots Community Centre
AFTER years of planning, building work is set to begin next month on a new £1.2million community centre for St Neots. A turf cutting ceremony was held at the Maltings in Eaton Socon on Friday, August 15 to mark the start of work on the Eatons Community C
AFTER years of planning, building work is set to begin next month on a new £1.2million community centre for St Neots.
A turf cutting ceremony was held at the Maltings in Eaton Socon on Friday, August 15 to mark the start of work on the Eatons Community Centre.
The contractors Deejaks Ltd provided a JCB and deputy mayor Cllr Alan Cummings started the dig on behalf of the town council.
The mayor, Cllr Bob Eaton signed a memorandum with Pastor Rob McFarland of the River Church who will be using the centre and assisting with the project costs.
You may also want to watch:
Philip Devonald, clerk to St Neots Town Council, said: "The idea for a community centre for the Eatons was first aired four years ago."
He added: "We have had a lot of interest from local organisations and community groups keen to use the centre and we have no doubt that we will be able to fill it. It is much needed and it will be a well used multi purpose community centre."
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 5 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 6 Bustling market town that had 64 pubs at one time
- 7 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 8 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 9 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
Already signed up to use the facilities is the town's youth service, a seniors luncheon club and a karate group.
The two-storey building has planning permission for a 50 place pre-school, a large hall for about 200 people, a bar, kitchen, storage area and two medium sized rooms upstairs.
Building work is due to start on September 1 and is estimated to take about 35 weeks.
St Neots town councillor, Cllr Julia Hayward said: "I'm delighted we have reached this important milestone, and look forward to watching the building we've waited so long for gradually materialise in the coming months."
INFORMATION: Anyone wanting more information about the new community centre, should phone Mr Devonald on 01480 388911.