ALTHOUGH I am not great fan of Charlotte Brontë s works, my wife is a devotee. All the more surprising then, that I emerged totally converted by SIMADS latest production this musical version of Jane Eyre – perhaps more of an opera. There are 42 separate
ALTHOUGH I am not great fan of Charlotte Brontë's works, my wife is a devotee. All the more surprising then, that I emerged totally converted by SIMADS' latest production this musical version of Jane Eyre - perhaps more of an opera. There are 42 separate musical passages put together in a magical way that told the initially sad story with its happy ending.
To start with the setting was grey and the music subdued. This very effectively created an aura of the times: sprawling urban slums with poverty and disease stalking the people. Scant relief was given by a depressing charity school to which Jane Eyre was sent.
Gradually the pace increased as the story unfolded - the music having echoes of Les Miserables - and the settings a cross between Oliver and Gosford Park. All was superbly put together and the players, as ever, rose to the occasion with enthusiasm and talent. The two leads, Jane and Rochester, were strong and thoroughly convincing in both their acting and singing. They were very well supported by the cast who immersed themselves in their various roles.
The end was happy and moving. I'm sure I detected tears in the eyes of the audience, a sure sign that they had been deeply touched by the production.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 10 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer