Brampton tip RIP
FAREWELL then Brampton/Buckden recycling centre. Killed off before your time by hostile, short-sighted and foolish councils. You have been well used by local residents 100,000 times per year. Now collectively we will probably have to go 1,400,000 extra m
FAREWELL then Brampton/Buckden recycling centre. Killed off before your time by hostile, short-sighted and foolish councils.
You have been well used by local residents 100,000 times per year. Now collectively we will probably have to go 1,400,000 extra miles to Alconbury, more if we go to St Neots. The extra miles will cost us, the Council Tax payer, something like £600,000 per year, yet you would have cost only £300,000 to keep open. And this ignores the cost to our rates of collecting extra fly tipping.
You had convenient, safe access. At Alconbury, customers will have to climb steps.
You were so popular that there were sometimes queues. Alconbury, being much smaller, will have prodigious queues for much of the time.
You may also want to watch:
To add insult to injury, with you the waste was carried across your site to its final resting place: now they will add to congestion on the A14 by taking it all the way to Waterbeach in huge lorries, a 32 mile round trip. So much for concern for the environment.
You know all this makes no sense. We know it makes no sense. You were well used and well liked. RIP.
- 1 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 2 St Neots Covid vaccination centre is on the move
- 3 Colourful benches have been placed in St Neots
- 4 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
- 5 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 6 Car crashes into safety barriers as driver flees scene
- 7 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 8 Burglars used paving slabs and sledge hammers to smash into homes
- 9 Paedophile offered 'naked massages' to undercover police officer
- 10 Buckle hits half-century but Hunts boys fall to Northants defeat
Councillor MIKE SHELLENS
Huntingdonshire District Council