Boy, 12, injured in rope joke

A MUM has put out a warning to youngsters playing practical jokes after her son was injured in a jape that went wrong. Twelve-year-old Haydn Middleton, from American Lane, Huntingdon was playing tag with friends when he ran full tilt into a rope which had

A MUM has put out a warning to youngsters playing practical jokes after her son was injured in a jape that went wrong.

Twelve-year-old Haydn Middleton, from American Lane, Huntingdon was playing tag with friends when he ran full tilt into a rope which had been tied across the ramp of a stairway as a joke. Haydn somersaulted over the rope and banged his head on the steps, knocking himself unconscious.

He was rescued and taken home by a family friend. The burns to his neck were so severe that he was off school the next day with a bad headache. He had lumps on the back of his head and scratches on his back.

His mother, Natalie, said: "He looked as though he had been nearly decapitated and he was found unconscious. There was no malice in this, it was just a practical joke that went wrong, but I want to raise awareness about how this sort of thing can happen. The family is not sure whether the rope was a shoe lace or the cord from the bottom of a jacket."


You may also want to watch:


The youngsters were playing in the grounds of Huntingdonshire Regional College. Anne Constantine, college principal said: "The college does not wish to comment on what appears to be a childish prank that went badly wrong.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus