Boundary change means I pay more Council Tax
I LIVE in Bridge Terrace, St Ives, which along with other properties south of the river and on the east side of London Road, has always been in the parish of Fenstanton. The recent re-drawing of the boundaries has resulted in our being moved into the pari
I LIVE in Bridge Terrace, St Ives, which along with other properties south of the river and on the east side of London Road, has always been in the parish of Fenstanton.
The recent re-drawing of the boundaries has resulted in our being moved into the parish of St Ives the main disadvantage of this being a higher rate of Council Tax.
I assumed that at least I would no longer have to travel to Fenstanton to vote in elections. However, on receiving my poll card I find that for election purposes we are still in Fenstanton. I have spoken to the council which has confirmed this anomalous situation, but seem unconcerned by it and can offer no solution until the two relevant administrative departments co-ordinate the boundary changes next year.
In the meantime we are stuck in limbo, a section of the community without any official representation. We are now paying St Ives Council Tax, but were unable to vote in the Huntingdonshire District Council election in St Ives South. At a time when there is concern over voter apathy, especially in local politics, it seems rather ironic that a large section of a ward is disenfranchised.
You may also want to watch:
I feel that taxation without representation is unacceptable in a democracy and perhaps a Council Tax rebate could be expected.
- 1 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 2 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 3 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 4 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 5 Covid-19 vaccine rolled out at care home in Huntingdon
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 Competition launched to name new St Ives park
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 Letters to the Editor
- 10 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men