Bin those knives, urge police in amnesty
BINS have been placed at police stations across the county as part of a national knife amnesty designed to reduce the number of blade related crimes. Knife bins were placed at Huntingdon, St Ives, St Neots and Ramsey Police Stations last Wednesday (May
BINS have been placed at police stations across the county as part of a national knife amnesty designed to reduce the number of blade related crimes.
Knife bins were placed at Huntingdon, St Ives, St Neots and Ramsey Police Stations last Wednesday (May 24) as part of Cambridgeshire Police's Operation Blade Stop.
Inspector Steve Poppitt said: "An amnesty unquestionably reduces the availability of certain kinds of knives and bladed instruments and each knife which is taken out of circulation is one less on the streets of Cambridgeshire that could potentially do harm.
"We have located secure bins across the county, into which people can place their knives anonymously. However, those people who are caught carrying a knife without good reason and are not on their way to deposit it in one of the bins will be dealt with."
The operation will run until Friday June 30 and knives deposited in the bins should be wrapped in cardboard or something similar and secured with tape.
Bins have also been provided at four police stations in the south of the county and 10 in the north.
- 1 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 4 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 5 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 6 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 7 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
INFORMATION: To find out police station opening times visit www.cambs.police.co.uk