Bin those knives, urge police in amnesty
BINS have been placed at police stations across the county as part of a national knife amnesty designed to reduce the number of blade related crimes. Knife bins were placed at Huntingdon, St Ives, St Neots and Ramsey Police Stations last Wednesday (May
BINS have been placed at police stations across the county as part of a national knife amnesty designed to reduce the number of blade related crimes.
Knife bins were placed at Huntingdon, St Ives, St Neots and Ramsey Police Stations last Wednesday (May 24) as part of Cambridgeshire Police's Operation Blade Stop.
Inspector Steve Poppitt said: "An amnesty unquestionably reduces the availability of certain kinds of knives and bladed instruments and each knife which is taken out of circulation is one less on the streets of Cambridgeshire that could potentially do harm.
"We have located secure bins across the county, into which people can place their knives anonymously. However, those people who are caught carrying a knife without good reason and are not on their way to deposit it in one of the bins will be dealt with."
You may also want to watch:
The operation will run until Friday June 30 and knives deposited in the bins should be wrapped in cardboard or something similar and secured with tape.
Bins have also been provided at four police stations in the south of the county and 10 in the north.
- 1 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 5 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 6 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 Leader champions Huntingdonshire as 'great place to live'
INFORMATION: To find out police station opening times visit www.cambs.police.co.uk