Bill Godfey, the supreme pro
IT was with a profound sense of loss and disbelief that St Ives Music and Drama Society (SIMADS) learned of the untimely death of Bill Godfrey, a much valued member of this local club. Bill joined the society in 1977, when he took the role of musical dire
IT was with a profound sense of loss and disbelief that St Ives Music and Drama Society (SIMADS) learned of the untimely death of Bill Godfrey, a much valued member of this local club.
Bill joined the society in 1977, when he took the role of musical director for the production of Calamity Jane. He carried this role forward for many future productions, culminating in the 2001 production of Oklahoma. The works of Gilbert and Sullivan were a great love of Bill's and under his direction the society performed many of these well-known operettas.
Bill was kind, often funny, sometimes forthright, but always the supreme professional, a master of his craft. The chorus used to joke that he could hear a wrong note at 20 paces.
His work with SIMADS was only one of his many musical facets, but his dedication and enthusiasm for our productions was 100 per cent. He helped the society grow musically over more than 20 years and was always ready to give extra help if requested.
SIMADS will be the poorer for Bill's passing. Men of his talent and ability are rare and his memory will be much cherished - a fitting requiem for a man of music.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 5 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 6 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 7 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 8 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week