Bid to honour council veteran
A VETERAN councillor, who died earlier this year, could be awarded an honorary title in recognition of the years spent serving the community. John Eddy, represented the Somersham and Earith division at Cambridgeshire County Council from 1981 until he died
A VETERAN councillor, who died earlier this year, could be awarded an honorary title in recognition of the years spent serving the community.
John Eddy, represented the Somersham and Earith division at Cambridgeshire County Council from 1981 until he died on August 3 after a short illness, aged 72.
Such was his contribution to local politics that the leaders of the three main political groups have recommended the title of Honorary Alderman is conferred posthumously on Councillor Eddy.
This title has been bestowed only on seven councillors and it is not usual practice to award the honour posthumously.
Ian Stewart, county council chief executive, said: "This will be the first time that the title of Honorary Alderman has been awarded after the death of a councillor but the group leaders are of the view that this is an appropriate way of marking Cllr Eddy's significant contribution to local government over many years."
Cllr Eddy, a farmer, was vice-chairman of the county council between 1997 and 1999 and chairman between 1999 and 2001. He was also the elected member for Earith on Huntingdonshire District Council for 30 years.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary
A decision on the awarding of the honour was expected today (Wednesday).
* Elections for the seats left vacant by the death of John Eddy were held on Thursday, October 12.
Cambridgeshire County Council Somersham and Earith ward results:
Richard John Allen (Lab) 81
Stephen Jeffery Criswell (Con) 1,377
Anthony Bell Hulme (Lib Dem) 566
Voter turnout was 28.2 per cent.
Stephen Criswell was elected, holding the seat for the Conservatives.