Beware another back-door sex shop deal
ONCE again I find we are in the position of having to object to an application regarding the sex shop in the former Little Chef building on the boundary of Sawtry.
This time the application is for renewal of the licence to trade and follows hot on the heels of another application to increase the visibility of signage at that location. ‘Sex Shop Sawtry’ is already slipping into local usage and reflects the shabby image projected by both the physical environs and the nature of the shop’s business. That this shop was ever allowed a licence following the largest protest in the history of Huntingdonshire District Council is remembered every time we pass it.
Turning for a moment to the application for increased signage, this could mean one of two things:
1. Business has not blossomed as expected and the Sawtry location was ill advised.
2. The signage was traded off in the initial application to get the licence approved, with the intention of upgrading it at this renewal time. If, as has been reported, business is growing nicely, this would seem to be the most likely option.
You may also want to watch:
From the company’s website it is clear the firm is not shy of presenting bold signage to passers-by, acting as the wrong kind of magnet for the morally weak, and continuing to degrade the nature of the village.
It would seem that another behind-the-scenes decision is about to be made. I would nonetheless appeal that as many people as possible call on the licensing committee to reject this renewal application for the greater good of Huntingdonshire, aware as others are of how little regard our council members appear to have for the views of their electorate at this time.
- 1 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 2 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 9 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 10 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
Deer Park Road