Be vigilant over meningitis
IN response to your article ( Tributes to full of smiles Claire, April 23) about teenager Claire Kennedy who died, aged 19, from meningitis, our thoughts are with Claire s family and friends at this very sad time. The Meningitis Trust is urging people
IN response to your article ("Tributes to 'full of smiles' Claire," April 23) about teenager Claire Kennedy who died, aged 19, from meningitis, our thoughts are with Claire's family and friends at this very sad time.
The Meningitis Trust is urging people to be vigilant of the signs and symptoms at all times and, if they are concerned, to seek medical attention immediately. Unfortunately with meningitis, many of its symptoms are similar to those associated with less serious illnesses such as flu.
The rash that is commonly associated with meningitis doesn't appear in all cases, so it is vital that people are aware of the other symptoms. Symptoms can include fever (possibly with cold hands and feet), headache, stiff neck, dislike of bright lights, drowsiness, joint pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and confusion.
In babies, an unusual cry, dislike of being handled and refusing feeds are also signs that can point to meningitis. If in doubt, always seek urgent medical advice.
The Meningitis Trust has a free 24-hour helpline, which is led by nurses specially trained in meningitis, providing information and support. Anyone concerned area should call 0800 028 18 28 or visit our website at www.meningitis-trust.org. Free signs and symptoms cards are also available from us for people to keep in their wallets.
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 3 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 4 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 5 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 6 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 7 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 8 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
Community Development Officer - South East