Bailiffs get set on tax dodgers’
BAILIFFS will be out in force on the streets of South Cambridgeshire targeting more than 1,000 residents who collectively owe £500,000 in overdue Council Tax. South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) has said, despite repeated demands, it is still wai
BAILIFFS will be out in force on the streets of South Cambridgeshire targeting more than 1,000 residents who collectively owe £500,000 in overdue Council Tax.
South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) has said, despite repeated demands, it is still waiting for customers who, on average, owe £500 each in outstanding bills.
A specialist team of bailiffs will be taking to the streets this week targeting the people who have ignored court orders to pay the outstanding sums. The bailiffs have instructions from SCDC to seize household goods or cars, which will then be sold at public auction to pay the bills.
Councillor Simon Edwards, SCDC resources portfolio holder, said: "We have given the bailiffs instructions to go out and seize these tax dodgers' goods to make sure they don't get away with not paying.
You may also want to watch:
"The bailiff team is equipped with car wheel clamps to immobilise vehicles before towing them away. They will also remove electrical and other household goods from debtors' homes."
Residents who have received a letter from SCDC are being urged to pay up now or, if they genuinely cannot pay, to contact SCDC immediately.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 3 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 4 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 5 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
- 10 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
SCDC aims to collect £64.5million Council Tax this year.
INFORMATION: Payments can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with a debit card at www.scambs.gov.uk/paymybill or by telephoning 0845 045 5218.