Baby Georgia will be forever in our hearts’

THE parents of a 10-month-old girl who died after choking on a piece of food at a nursery in Cambourne have told of their devastation. Georgia Hollick was taken by ambulance from the Just Learning Nursery in the High Street to Addenbrooke s Hospital last

THE parents of a 10-month-old girl who died after choking on a piece of food at a nursery in Cambourne have told of their devastation.

Georgia Hollick was taken by ambulance from the Just Learning Nursery in the High Street to Addenbrooke's Hospital last Wednesday at 9.45am after she stopped breathing.

She was pronounced dead at 11am and Cambridgeshire Police and Ofsted are now investigating.

In a statement, Georgia's parents Jason and Sharon Hollick, of Monk Drive, Great Cambourne, said: "We are devastated by Georgia's death.


You may also want to watch:


"Georgia was a wonderful baby and a blessing to our family. She will be forever in our hearts and thoughts.

"We now want to be left alone to try to come to terms with the loss of our little baby girl."

Most Read

The nursery, which opened in 2001 and is part of a national chain managed by Michael Fallon the Conservative MP for Sevenoaks, is expected to remain closed for several weeks.

In a statement issued to The Hunts Post, Mr Fallon said: "Last week's tragedy has been devastating for Georgia's family and has left everyone at the company, including myself, extremely shocked, sad and deeply upset.

"Just Learning is one of the UK's largest childcare providers, caring for 5,000 children per day.

"It is the first time we have had to deal with such a serious accident.

"The staff at our Huntingdon nursery were a very great help at this difficult time. They have been able to accommmodate extra children during the temporary closure of the Cambourne nursery, and assisted us in contacting Cambourne parents in the hours following this tragedy."

A post-mortem examination carried out by Cambridge pathologist Dr Flora Jessop last Thursday found Georgia had died from asphyxia caused by choking on a small piece of apple.

An inquest was opened and adjourned last Friday at Shire Hall by South & West Cambs Coroner David Morris.

Jonathan Bell, operations director at Just Learning, said: "This was a tragic accident, and all our thoughts are with Georgia's family.

"The staff did everything they could for Georgia before the doctor and emergency services arrived, and are deeply upset. We are co-operating fully with the inquiry.

"The nursery is likely to remain closed for several weeks while the investigation takes place."

In September 2004 an investigation was launched after a 15-month-old girl broke her arm at the nursery.

Allegations of child cruelty against three of the nursery's staff were discontinued last year.

In June 2005, an Ofsted report found the quality of standards and care at the nursery were satisfactory. The report did, however, ask staff to improve their knowledge of child protection issues.

The report stated: "Although there are policies in place that explain the child protection procedures, insufficient staff have a clear knowledge and understanding of child protection issues.

"As a consequence children's safety and welfare is not fully safeguarded."

In June 2005 there were 149 children between the ages of six months and eight years attending the Just Learning Nursery in Cambourne.

There are currently 29 staff employed at the nursery, which was open 7.30am-6pm weekdays.

INFORMATION: Parents who are finding it difficult to find alternative nursery places while the Just Learning Nursery in Cambourne is closed should contact Children's Information Services on 0845 0454014.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus