Award for can do’ cadet
SOME of Huntingdon s best air cadets were given awards at the annual ceremony at RAF Brampton. More than 70 family members and guests were on hand to witness the cadets of the Air Training Corps Squadron, 73 (Huntingdon) Squadron receive their awards. Win
SOME of Huntingdon's best air cadets were given awards at the annual ceremony at RAF Brampton.
More than 70 family members and guests were on hand to witness the cadets of the Air Training Corps Squadron, 73 (Huntingdon) Squadron receive their awards.
Wing Commander Paul Bower, Commanding Officer Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing presented 12 awards, including the Mavis Hedger Challenge Trophy, which was won by 15-year-old Cadet Alice Bettany for her 'can do' attitude.
Flight Lieutenant Heather Pateman, commanding officer of Huntingdon squadron, said "Cadet Bettany has been a role model to other cadets since she joined in 200. She has achieved her radio communicators award and youth first aider, as well as attending and leading on various fundraising; sports and adventure training events."
You may also want to watch:
The other winners included:
* Cpl Ryan Sheehan, 17, received the Bartlett Aviation Trophy
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 10 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
*Cpl Christopher Priest, age 17, recieved Sqn Ldr Gibson Compressor Blade for Propulsion
*Cadet Simon Bond, 14, received the Mumford Memorial Trophy for Best Shot
*Cadet Vrywny Rainbird, 16, received the Sports Shield
*Cadet Alice Bettany, received the Adventure Training Cup
* Cpl Christopher Priest received the WO Hall Best Project Trophy for his Normandy project
*Cpl Peter Queen, 16, received the Barlow Challenge Cup for Efficiency
* Cadet Catherine Scott, 15, received the Andrea Bartlett Personal Achievement Trophy.
The last three awards for best new recruit, best cadet and best NCO were voted for by both the cadets and staff of Huntingdon squadron.
Cadet Michael Smith, 13, was best new recruit, Cadet Vrywny Rainbird, 16, was voted best cadet for her commitment and enthusiasm, and Cpl Christopher Priest won the best NCO.
Flight Lieutenant Pateman added: "I am very proud of all the cadets this year, they have worked hard and this has been shown in their achievements to date.
"It is also lovely to see so many parents here tonight to support the cadets and the squadron."
INFORMATION: The squadron, which is based on RAF Brampton, is looking for more adult volunteers. Call 01480 52151 ext 7179 on Tuesday or Friday evenings for more details or e-mail email@example.com