Audio: Cambs disabled people launch song to raise awareness
A GROUP of disabled people has launched a song about equality to raise awareness of disabilities and help break down barriers. Eleven adults who meet weekly at the Saxongate Centre in Huntingdon to receive support from disability charity, the Papworth Tr
A GROUP of disabled people has launched a song about equality to raise awareness of disabilities and help break down barriers.
Eleven adults who meet weekly at the Saxongate Centre in Huntingdon to receive support from disability charity, the Papworth Trust, have written and recorded their own song.
The track is entitled Human is our Name and was released on Thursday, December 3 to celebrate United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
It explores disabled people's feelings about equality, choice and independence and their thoughts about how society treats them.
You may also want to watch:
The song writing group is made up of Claire Durrant, Dan Cowlishaw, Stevie Collins, Michael Caitens, Paul Banes, Alex Demetriades, Andrew Whiffen, Gary Trusgnach, Rebekah Arnold, Brian Holley and Jane Evans.
Mr Caitens said: "We wrote the song to break down ignorance because we didn't think our message was getting across to people properly."
- 1 Brampton Post Office customers say fond farewell to postmaster
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 4 Organic Hunts beauty company Bossy Glossy gets celebrity support
- 5 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 6 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 7 Free Covid testing kits now available at some pharmacies
- 8 Kimbolton business announces new CEO
- 9 Primary school earns Fairtrade status
- 10 Memories of St Neots' town centre
Mr Banes said: "We hope the song will help to break down barriers. If we ask for help, please don't ignore us. And don't talk to our carers, talk to us as equals!"
Julia Clough, Papworth Trust's head of empowerment said: "The song came from a group of people full of determination to get their message to everyone. At the Papworth Trust we believe that for people to be empowered they must have a bigger say in our services but also in their own lives.
"The group have used a medium they are passionate about and which they hope will reach many people."
INFORMATION: To download a the song visit http://www.papworth.org.uk/downloads/human_is_our_name_091119135531.mp3