At the art of school’s success
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: Don t cage me in . These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection. The pupil s words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art depar
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: 'Don't cage me in'."
These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection.
The pupil's words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art department was praised after an Ofsted inspection in November.
Pupils have studied a number of famous artists and produced collages in their style.
ICT was also applauded in the report , with good use being made of the IT facilities at the school, which include interactive whiteboards and well-informed teachers. Many pupils involve themselves in clubs, both at lunchtime and after school.
Activities range from the usual sport and music clubs to more unusual past times such as quilting, needlecraft and chess, ensuring that all pupils' tastes are accommodated.
- 1 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 8 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 9 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
Somersham pupils are supported throughout their time at the school, with a successful drug education programme and cycling proficiency course. There is also good support for pupils coping with difficult circumstances outside school.
Inspectors commented on pupils' good behaviour and hard work in lessons.
Ofsted noted the effective relationship between parents and teachers, with one parent saying: "I would have no hesitation in recommending Somersham Primary School to any of my friends and colleagues. It is a pleasant, well run school which my children love attending."
Inspectors noted that the school has heeded past recommendations for improvement and is performing well.
The school is performing above the national average in maths and science and average in English.
INFORMATION: Somersham Primary School has 321 pupils aged from four to 11.