At the art of school’s success
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: Don t cage me in . These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection. The pupil s words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art depar
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: 'Don't cage me in'."
These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection.
The pupil's words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art department was praised after an Ofsted inspection in November.
Pupils have studied a number of famous artists and produced collages in their style.
You may also want to watch:
ICT was also applauded in the report , with good use being made of the IT facilities at the school, which include interactive whiteboards and well-informed teachers. Many pupils involve themselves in clubs, both at lunchtime and after school.
Activities range from the usual sport and music clubs to more unusual past times such as quilting, needlecraft and chess, ensuring that all pupils' tastes are accommodated.
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 8 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 9 Benefits cut will leave Hunts families 'in debt', warns charity
- 10 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
Somersham pupils are supported throughout their time at the school, with a successful drug education programme and cycling proficiency course. There is also good support for pupils coping with difficult circumstances outside school.
Inspectors commented on pupils' good behaviour and hard work in lessons.
Ofsted noted the effective relationship between parents and teachers, with one parent saying: "I would have no hesitation in recommending Somersham Primary School to any of my friends and colleagues. It is a pleasant, well run school which my children love attending."
Inspectors noted that the school has heeded past recommendations for improvement and is performing well.
The school is performing above the national average in maths and science and average in English.
INFORMATION: Somersham Primary School has 321 pupils aged from four to 11.