At the art of school’s success
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: Don t cage me in . These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection. The pupil s words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art depar
IF my sculpture was alive it would say: 'Don't cage me in'."
These were the words of a Somersham Primary School pupil describing their art work during a recent Ofsted inspection.
The pupil's words sum up the creative spirit of the school, whose art department was praised after an Ofsted inspection in November.
Pupils have studied a number of famous artists and produced collages in their style.
You may also want to watch:
ICT was also applauded in the report , with good use being made of the IT facilities at the school, which include interactive whiteboards and well-informed teachers. Many pupils involve themselves in clubs, both at lunchtime and after school.
Activities range from the usual sport and music clubs to more unusual past times such as quilting, needlecraft and chess, ensuring that all pupils' tastes are accommodated.
- 1 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 2 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 5 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 6 Ventriloquist shares career highlights after retiring in Huntingdon
- 7 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 8 Memories of St Neots' town centre
- 9 For sale: Spacious two bedroom bungalow with generous plots in Hartford
- 10 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
Somersham pupils are supported throughout their time at the school, with a successful drug education programme and cycling proficiency course. There is also good support for pupils coping with difficult circumstances outside school.
Inspectors commented on pupils' good behaviour and hard work in lessons.
Ofsted noted the effective relationship between parents and teachers, with one parent saying: "I would have no hesitation in recommending Somersham Primary School to any of my friends and colleagues. It is a pleasant, well run school which my children love attending."
Inspectors noted that the school has heeded past recommendations for improvement and is performing well.
The school is performing above the national average in maths and science and average in English.
INFORMATION: Somersham Primary School has 321 pupils aged from four to 11.