Alconbury lorry park should re-open
I WAS interested to read the letter from M King (June 25) with regard to HGV parking in and around Cambridgeshire. This is an ever-increasing problem not only for us locally but nationally. Our local MPs and councillors are concerned about the closure of
I WAS interested to read the letter from M King (June 25) with regard to HGV parking in and around Cambridgeshire. This is an ever-increasing problem not only for us locally but nationally.
Our local MPs and councillors are concerned about the closure of the Alconbury truck stop, which provided a rest point for about 250 drivers and their vehicles. Interestingly, being the planning authority, Huntingdonshire District Council has indicated that it would not allow a change of use on the site. It would be very helpful if the site could be re-opened, thus saving a lot of misery for residents in the Alconburys and Stukeleys. I cannot imagine that the truck stop was operating at a loss. What an enterprising venture it could be.
Our representations to the Government have not exactly fallen on deaf ears, but nearly. Readers might be interested to know that the Government is undertaking a survey on the problem. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will take two years to complete.
Councillor Sir PETER BROWN
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire County Council
- 1 New garden village on outskirts of St Neots will bring 10,000 homes
- 2 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 3 Notice served to remove travellers from school site
- 4 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 5 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 6 Mum's donation to thank 'incredible' midwives and maternity staff
- 7 Check out our photo gallery of cute family pets
- 8 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 9 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl