Alconbury lorry park should re-open
I WAS interested to read the letter from M King (June 25) with regard to HGV parking in and around Cambridgeshire. This is an ever-increasing problem not only for us locally but nationally. Our local MPs and councillors are concerned about the closure of
I WAS interested to read the letter from M King (June 25) with regard to HGV parking in and around Cambridgeshire. This is an ever-increasing problem not only for us locally but nationally.
Our local MPs and councillors are concerned about the closure of the Alconbury truck stop, which provided a rest point for about 250 drivers and their vehicles. Interestingly, being the planning authority, Huntingdonshire District Council has indicated that it would not allow a change of use on the site. It would be very helpful if the site could be re-opened, thus saving a lot of misery for residents in the Alconburys and Stukeleys. I cannot imagine that the truck stop was operating at a loss. What an enterprising venture it could be.
Our representations to the Government have not exactly fallen on deaf ears, but nearly. Readers might be interested to know that the Government is undertaking a survey on the problem. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will take two years to complete.
Councillor Sir PETER BROWN
Cambridgeshire County Council
- 1 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 2 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 7 Could you give these pets a home?
- 8 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!