Alconbury: Flood defence money at last
AFTER years of trying to bolster the flood defences at Alconbury without success, more than �200,000 has been made available to help protect homes. Funding of �228,000 from the Government has been set aside to provide defences for homes regarded as at hi
AFTER years of trying to bolster the flood defences at Alconbury without success, more than �200,000 has been made available to help protect homes.
Funding of �228,000 from the Government has been set aside to provide defences for homes regarded as at high risk of flooding in Alconbury and Alconbury Western.
Although Huntingdonshire District Council applied for �450,000 of funding, it said its plans could still go ahead as the Environment Agency was going to make up any difference.
Chris Allen, projects manager at HDC, told The Hunts Post: "This scheme only applies to homes which are at high risk."
You may also want to watch:
"The money now available will help 40 homes with a maximum spend of �5,000 per house. The balance of the funding will enable the district council to help a further 42 homes.
Mr Allen said: "If households wish, we can provide and install flood boards and covers for airbricks and then it is up to the householder to maintain them."
- 1 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 2 Here's your 'thank you' messages for school staff
- 3 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 4 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 5 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 6 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 7 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 8 First patients in St Ives to receive Covid-19 vaccination
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Your photos capture stunning sunsets and frosty mornings
David Senior, chairman of Alconbury Parish Council, said: "We are over the moon. Anything that lowers the risks of people's homes being flooded is highly welcome, especially since a multi-million pound flood defence scheme for Alconbury was cancelled almost at the last minute three years ago."
The money was given to HDC as part of the second round of a �5.5million grant scheme to help people protect their homes against flooding and was announced on Thursday by Environment Minister, Huw Irranca-Davies.
Mr Irranca-Davies said: "There are 490,000 properties at significant risk of flooding in England.
"Since the floods of 2007 we have been taking action on a range of fronts to protect against the heart breaking damage and destruction that can be caused by floods.
"Property level measures like flood boards aren't appropriate for every situation, but as was shown in Appleby at the end of last year, they can be a very effective way for householders to protect their homes.