Action Week launched for post offices
YOUR post office needs you. That is the message The Hunts Post reiterates today as we announce an Action Week designed to reinforce the message that our post offices are the fabric of our communities. Royal Mail wants to close 2,500 post office branches
YOUR post office needs you.
That is the message The Hunts Post reiterates today as we announce an Action Week designed to reinforce the message that our post offices are the fabric of our communities.
Royal Mail wants to close 2,500 post office branches across the country and will announce on July 8 which offices in Cambridgeshire are earmarked for closure.
Backed by the district's members of Parliament, The Hunts Post is encouraging all its readers to make use of their local post office during the Action Week beginning April 21.
You may also want to watch:
Readers will be encouraged to ignore the internet and use the services available at their post office - a full list is featured inside.
Stickers will be also available at post office counters throughout the week for people to show their support and petitions are in branches across the district awaiting signatures.
- 1 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 4 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 5 Prison for dealer who rammed police car
- 6 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 9 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 10 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
The week is the latest step in our Protect Your Post Office campaign, which since November has seen more than 5,000 people pledge their support to their post office by signing the petitions at their local branch and supporting the online by visiting www.huntspost24.co.uk.
Andy Veale, editor of The Hunts Post, said: "Post offices are often the heartbeat of our communities, particularly in rural areas.
"We want everyone to make an even greater effort than usual to make use of their post office to show Post Office Ltd how important post office branches are to us all."
MP for Huntingdon Jonathan Djanogly and MP for North West Cambridgeshire Shailesh Vara this week pledged to take the fight to Parliament.
Mr Djanogly said: "I am pleased to support The Hunts Post's campaign to save local post offices. I use my own branch whenever possible - they are the lifeblood of many communities across Huntingdonshire and it is imperative everyone supports their local branch."
Mr Vara added: "Like we did with Hinchingbrooke Hospital, we will take this fight to Parliament to highlight to the country how important our post offices are.