A428 closed in rush hour due to floods
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded. Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of wate
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded.
Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of water gathering on both sides of the carriageway under the bridge at Cambourne.
One caller described the scene to officers as "mayhem."
A Highways Agency spokesman said the flooding was the result of a pump that stopped working after a power surge.
"Water has tended to gather on the A428 at Cambourne in wet conditions. This is the old dual carriageway section of the A428 that was built in relation to the Cambourne housing development not the new dual carriageway that opened in May 2007.
"A pump station was installed as part of the Cambourne development's highway works to remove water from that section, which is a low point in the carriageway."
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 3 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Council chiefs left with 'no option' other than tax hike
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
The road was closed from 8.15-11.30pm while repairs were carried out.