A428 closed in rush hour due to floods
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded. Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of wate
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded.
Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of water gathering on both sides of the carriageway under the bridge at Cambourne.
One caller described the scene to officers as "mayhem."
A Highways Agency spokesman said the flooding was the result of a pump that stopped working after a power surge.
"Water has tended to gather on the A428 at Cambourne in wet conditions. This is the old dual carriageway section of the A428 that was built in relation to the Cambourne housing development not the new dual carriageway that opened in May 2007.
"A pump station was installed as part of the Cambourne development's highway works to remove water from that section, which is a low point in the carriageway."
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 3 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 6 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 This year's Huntingdon in Bloom launch event has taken place
- 9 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 10 Honda, Seat and Toyota crashed on A141
The road was closed from 8.15-11.30pm while repairs were carried out.