A428 closed in rush hour due to floods
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded. Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of wate
A SECTION of the A428 had to be closed at Cambourne last Thursday after a water pump failed and it became flooded.
Motorists were left stuck in traffic during the evening rush hour after police were called at 5.50pm to reports of up to four inches of water gathering on both sides of the carriageway under the bridge at Cambourne.
One caller described the scene to officers as "mayhem."
A Highways Agency spokesman said the flooding was the result of a pump that stopped working after a power surge.
You may also want to watch:
"Water has tended to gather on the A428 at Cambourne in wet conditions. This is the old dual carriageway section of the A428 that was built in relation to the Cambourne housing development not the new dual carriageway that opened in May 2007.
"A pump station was installed as part of the Cambourne development's highway works to remove water from that section, which is a low point in the carriageway."
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
The road was closed from 8.15-11.30pm while repairs were carried out.