A14 upgrade overdue
EACH year, the A14 link between Brampton and Cambridge costs tens of lives, hundreds of injuries, hundreds of thousands of pounds in emergency service costs, millions of pounds in insurance and repairs, and tens of millions of lost man-days of economic va
EACH year, the A14 link between Brampton and Cambridge costs tens of lives, hundreds of injuries, hundreds of thousands of pounds in emergency service costs, millions of pounds in insurance and repairs, and tens of millions of lost man-days of economic value.
Add to that the environmental damage caused by stationary or crawling traffic that clogs the road virtually every weekday, and it is clear that the need to build the new A14 link road has never been more urgent.
Tens of thousands of local residents, in addition to an even greater number from further afield, are overjoyed that a decision on the route has now been chosen, and we cannot wait for the road to be built before we lose more lives and lifetimes in the traffic.
However, reading your newspaper, one gets the impression that this upgrade is not welcomed by the local residents, and your paper has printed emotive and negative stories about the upgrade over the last weeks.
You may also want to watch:
In the interests of balanced reporting, may I urge you to reflect the true wishes of the silent and happy majority, rather than blow a small number of specific stories out of all proportion.
This upgrade is long overdue, and I urge you now to assist in getting it completed as rapidly as possible.
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 5 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 6 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 7 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 9 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 10 Godmanchester community pulled together throughout the pandemic
Editor's note: We have been in favour of the Orange Route all the way through. However, those who disagree with the Highways Agency's choice, albeit they are a minority, are entitled to be heard.