A14 upgrade an expensive confidence trick
THE appalling news that the projected cost for improving the Road to Hell has now reached £1billion (The Hunts Post, March 12, Cambridge News, March 25) has to be one of the most expensive and anti-green con-tricks even this Labour Government has pulled -
THE appalling news that the projected cost for improving the Road to Hell has now reached £1billion (The Hunts Post, March 12, Cambridge News, March 25) has to be one of the most expensive and anti-green con-tricks even this Labour Government has pulled - and what will be the benefit if there is one?
A bit like the scandal that surrounded the reasons for getting into the Iraq War on a false premise and false information, we were told again and again that the multi-modal study would properly examine all the options - it did not and wasn't likely to because this Government and its civil servants are so blinkered and set on covering the country with endless mile after mile of tar macadam to be full on day one.
Given we have all once again been misled and seem likely to be conned out of even more cash, can we, like Speaker Martin, spend taxpayers' money to sue HM Government for all the damage this has caused us, lives lost and injury caused, or might we just see a Minister say we got it wrong and invest properly in the true green alternative - our rail network.
But I must stop dreaming and face reality - my cash, your cash will continue to be squandered on a road scheme doomed to be a failure from day one.
County Councillor GEOFF HEATHCOCK
Member of Railfuture
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 4 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 7 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots