A14 - spend the money on railways instead
WE support the letter from Eileen Collier (March 26) calling for the escalating money required for the A14 upgrade to be shifted to rail improvements. In fact, the escalation is worse than your original article (March 12) suggested. The report of the Camb
WE support the letter from Eileen Collier (March 26) calling for the escalating money required for the A14 upgrade to be shifted to rail improvements.
In fact, the escalation is worse than your original article (March 12) suggested.
The report of the Cambridge-Huntingdon Multi-Modal Study quoted a cost of a mere £192million, just over a fifth of the current cost. As the Highways Agency was heavily involved in this study, one is led to ask how they allowed what now looks like a wild underestimate to go through.
As well as improving rail links for both freight and passengers, we also need to ensure that the new town of Northstowe is designed on "eco-town" principles, for which recently published guidance suggests a target of no more than 25 per cent of journeys by car. And we need to develop cross country bus links that can be used, sometimes in conjunction with rail, for journeys between East Anglia and the Midlands and North.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, why not damp down demand by using the A14 as a test bed for national road pricing, with revenue going towards the above rail and bus improvements?
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 3 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 4 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 5 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 8 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 9 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 10 Huntingdon business is first in UK to supply American craft beer
Coordinator, Cambs Campaign for Better Transport (formerly Transport 2000 Cambs & West Suffolk)