A14 should be wider still
HUNTINGDONSHIRE District Council s cabinet member for planning strategy, Peter Bucknell, is quoted as saying of the A14 upgrade: When it s finished, we will have a superb road. The eight-lane A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough could sensibly be de
HUNTINGDONSHIRE District Council's cabinet member for planning strategy, Peter Bucknell, is quoted as saying of the A14 upgrade: "When it's finished, we will have a superb road."
The eight-lane A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough could sensibly be described as very good and fit for current and future purpose.
The proposed A14 upgrade could be described as good but certainly not superb or fit for current let alone future purpose.
At the eastern end of the A14, Suffolk Coastal District Council earlier this year gave permission for work to start straight away on the first phase of the Port of Felixstowe's major expansion plans. Phase one is scheduled to be fully operational by September 2010. Completion of that phase will enable the port to accommodate the largest container ships in the world with the obvious increase of traffic on the east-west link, the A14.
An eight-lane A14 upgrade is required to put it into the very good category, and possibly fit for purpose. If funds are not initially available for eight lanes, then plans should be made and land earmarked to allow immediate expansion from six to eight lanes when money does become available.
- 1 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 2 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 3 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 4 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 5 Ramsey students crowned winners in science competition
- 6 Home of the Week
- 7 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball