A14 should be wider still
HUNTINGDONSHIRE District Council s cabinet member for planning strategy, Peter Bucknell, is quoted as saying of the A14 upgrade: When it s finished, we will have a superb road. The eight-lane A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough could sensibly be de
HUNTINGDONSHIRE District Council's cabinet member for planning strategy, Peter Bucknell, is quoted as saying of the A14 upgrade: "When it's finished, we will have a superb road."
The eight-lane A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough could sensibly be described as very good and fit for current and future purpose.
The proposed A14 upgrade could be described as good but certainly not superb or fit for current let alone future purpose.
At the eastern end of the A14, Suffolk Coastal District Council earlier this year gave permission for work to start straight away on the first phase of the Port of Felixstowe's major expansion plans. Phase one is scheduled to be fully operational by September 2010. Completion of that phase will enable the port to accommodate the largest container ships in the world with the obvious increase of traffic on the east-west link, the A14.
You may also want to watch:
An eight-lane A14 upgrade is required to put it into the very good category, and possibly fit for purpose. If funds are not initially available for eight lanes, then plans should be made and land earmarked to allow immediate expansion from six to eight lanes when money does become available.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Have you seen Stevie the horse?
- 5 Parking spaces so narrow that driver had to climb out the boot!
- 6 Petition launched to save school transport for special needs schools
- 7 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 8 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 9 Plea to hold a Macmillan Coffee Morning as sign-ups drop
- 10 Back after Zoom meetings and in fine voice