A14 problems continue as part of A1 Black Cat roundabout is also closed


- Credit: Archant

MOTORISTS face delays on their journeys after one person was killed and another seriously injured in a collision on the A14.

The multi-vehicle collision between Nine Mill Hill and Stow Cum Quy, near Cambridge, involving a car and three lorries close to the turn off with the A1303, happened at 7.10am today (Thursday, January 17).

Police said the westbound carriageway would be shut for several hours while investigations take place. One lane of the eastbound carriageway is also closed while repairs are carried out to the central reservation.

Sergeant Gordon Murray appealed for witnesses to the crash to call Cambridgeshire Police on 101, adding: “We’re particularly keen on hearing from anyone who saw any vehicle stopped or broken down on the slip road to the junction with the A1303.”

Later the Highways Agency also announced that part of the Black Cat roundabout would be closed from late morning to allow a vehicle to be recovered following an earlier incident at the roundabout.

A diversion is expected to be in place for several hours but the roundabout is expected to be operating normally before tonight’s peak period.

Traffic heading north on the A1 will be diverted to turn off the road at the Black Cat roundabout and travel west on the A421 to the Renhold junction to turn around, returning along the A421 before rejoining the A1.

Most Read

While the diversion is in place, one lane will also be closed on the A421 eastbound, approaching the Black Cat roundabout.

Road users travelling south on the A1 will not be affected.

Earlier one lane was also blocked on the westbound A428 St Neots Road at the Cambourne junction because of an accident involving one car, while there were also delays on the A141 at Old Hurst, southbound between Ramsey Road and the B1090 St Ives.

There has also been heavy traffic reported on the A428 eastbound, between the B1428 Cambridge Road junction in St Neots and the A1198 Ermine Street South junction in Caxton Gibbet.

On the trains, First Capital Connect reported a signalling problem at London King’s Cross, causing delays of up to 30 minutes to and from the station but this has now cleared.