A14 bridge repair work to start on Friday
REPAIR work is to begin this Friday (January 13) on the A14 near Huntingdon.
The Highways Agency has said work will be carried out on the Ouse viaduct, the River Ouse bridge and Cow Lane bridges between junction 23, the Spittals interchange and junction 24 at Godmanchester.
Work will involve carriageway repairs and replacing the joints which allow the structures to expand and contract.
The A14 will be closed between the junctions, in one direction only, for seven consecutive weekends.
There will also be some weekday overnight closures with work expected to be completed by the middle of March. Diversions will be in place.
Paul Sinfield, of the Highways Agency, said: “Safety is our top priority and by replacing the joints on the bridges which carry the A14 over the River Ouse near Godmanchester we will ensure that safety is maintained on this busy trunk road.
“Periodic maintenance of this kind is essential, and by doing this work now we will minimise the risk of unplanned closures of the A14 in the future.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 3 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 4 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 10 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
“The most efficient and quickest way to carry out this work is by closing the carriageway at weekends and overnight when traffic flows are at their lowest. We advise drivers affected by it and by the diversion to allow extra time for their journey and take extra care when travelling along the diversion route.”
Starting Friday: The westbound carriageway will be closed from junction 24 Godmanchester to the Spittals Interchange (junction 23) for four consecutive weekends between 10pm on Friday nights and 5am on Monday mornings.
Starting February 10: The eastbound carriageway will be closed for three weekends between 10pm on Friday nights and 5am on Monday mornings.
There will also be up to eight overnight closures on either the westbound or eastbound carriageway on Mondays to Thursdays between 9pm and 6am, exact dates to be confirmed.
The diversion routes, via the A1 and A428, are expected to add an extra 10 miles to journeys.