A year of play
A CALENDAR has been launched to raise money for playground equipment for the play area in Highfield Avenue, Alconbury Weston. The Playground Fund has a target of £25,000 and so far has raised £6,013. The calendar photographs for April, July and August are
A CALENDAR has been launched to raise money for playground equipment for the play area in Highfield Avenue, Alconbury Weston.
The Playground Fund has a target of £25,000 and so far has raised £6,013. The calendar photographs for April, July and August are from fundraising events in those months.
The cover picture (seen here) is The Hunts Post picture of youngsters on their playing field, taken by Hunts Post photographer Helen Drake.
An appeal was started by parents in the village after a safety report by Wicksteed Leisure found advancing rot in the climbing frames and other equipment which had to be taken down.
A recreational equipment committee (Rec) consisting of Alconbury Weston parents and residents was set up.
In January last year Rec sent out questionnaires to households in Alconbury Weston and, out of the 80 people who responded, 95 per cent were in favour of replacing the equipment.
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 4 Jail for man who threatened to kill former girlfriend
- 5 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 6 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 7 See the average house price for Cambridgeshire's 'top' villages
- 8 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 9 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
It has since been decided that if all the funds are raised, the new playground will consist of goalposts, a basketball and netball hoop, an enclosed area with two swings, a slide and a picnic bench set on safety surfacing.
Joanne Harvey, of Rec, said: "Roughly 20 children a day still gather and play football where the old playground used to be but a lot of the younger children get bored with nothing to play on and the older children say how much they would like new goalposts.
"The new playground won't just benefit children from Alconbury Weston but also children who visit from other areas."
INFORMATION: The calendar is selling for £5 from The White Hart in Alconbury Weston. Telephone 01480 890331 or Jo Harvey, 01480 896583 or Julie and Steve 01480 890251.