A trucker speaks
IT is time to trash some enduring myths. HGVs do not cause congestion. Cars cause congestion. This should be clear when you see the figures – one million HGVs registered in the UK, one million motorcycles, and 30 million cars. Instead of this constant att
IT is time to trash some enduring myths. HGVs do not cause congestion. Cars cause congestion. This should be clear when you see the figures - one million HGVs registered in the UK, one million motorcycles, and 30 million cars.
Instead of this constant attack against trucks, it's time to tell car drivers to stop causing a rush hour every day, stop breaking the speed limit every day, start concentrating on what you are doing.
Has that artic in front of you got foreign plates? Then, don't sit in his blind spot. He has left-hand drive, and you know you will only blame him when he slips your car.
If a truck driver puts his indicator on approaching a slip road to pull out, then let him, and help keep the traffic moving.
You may also want to watch:
Coming to a roundabout? Think about the way a 45ft trailer will cut in and don't try squeezing past.
So here is the deal. You car drivers want us to stick at 50mph on the A14, stop tailgating and overtaking.
- 1 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Brampton Post Office customers say fond farewell to postmaster
- 4 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 5 Organic Hunts beauty company Bossy Glossy gets celebrity support
- 6 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 7 Free Covid testing kits now available at some pharmacies
- 8 Primary school earns Fairtrade status
- 9 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 10 Memories of St Neots' town centre
In return we want you to exercise some lane discipline, stick to your speed limit, look a little further ahead, stop tailgating yourselves, be more courteous. And how about setting off a little earlier so you don't have to rush?
And if you are under 30 years old and on your own in a car, why on earth are you not on a motorbike where you can beat the traffic, instead of hogging all that roadspace?
K AYRES, Prospero Way, Hartford