A Colourful Display at St Ives Carnival
COLOURFUL costumes and floats were drenched in sunshine as St Ives carnival rolled through the town at the weekend. With the event blessed with the weather the organisers had been wishing for, the crowds lined the high street to watch Saturday s parade an
COLOURFUL costumes and floats were drenched in sunshine as St Ives carnival rolled through the town at the weekend.
With the event blessed with the weather the organisers had been wishing for, the crowds lined the high street to watch Saturday's parade and turned out again in force on Sunday for the music festival in Warner's Park.
Those watching the parade were given a display of colours as the town's youngsters - and adults - pulled on their fancy costumes, turned up the music and gave the town a carnival atmosphere and a sense of community.
On the day, there were four floats judged to have been the best of the best.
You may also want to watch:
The carnival judges awarded first prizes in four different categories. The school prize went to Thorndown Junior School; trade went to Bennett Sanders estate agents; community went to St Ives Beaver Cub Scout Group; and the walking category was won by St Ives Twirlers.
On Sunday music, a hog roast and plenty of beer were the order of the day.
- 1 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 2 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 3 Delicious dessert shop 'Snix Snax' opens
- 4 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 6 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 7 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
St Ivians were out in force determined to enjoy the party atmosphere and to be entertained by a host of local music acts.
Energetic performances from local cover bands kept the masses entertained well into the evening, with the catchiest tunes helping the crowd find its dancing shoes, and its singing voice.