99p - I stand by my view
IN response to the two letters published on November 4, I would like to say that I consider myself to be neither an elitist nor stuck up, and have had lots of contact with many of the residents I represent in Hartford East who are also very dismayed at th
IN response to the two letters published on November 4, I would like to say that I consider myself to be neither an elitist nor stuck up, and have had lots of contact with many of the residents I represent in Hartford East who are also very dismayed at the choice of shop that has taken over the Woolworths store.
There are already a Pound store and a good Savers store, which could be affected by the new competition.
I do agree with Roy Crosby that being employed is a happier position than being without work. However, it would have been more beneficial to have had a store that was not similar to those we already have.
The high street is currently full of the same and, as the new 99p store has used a large retail space, this, in my opinion and also of many of those I represent, could have been used by a store that we are lacking. I hope that no small business is affected by this new store, risking loss of jobs to those currently employed.
You may also want to watch:
If both your correspondents, Roy Crosby and John Carter, would like to meet to discuss my original letter, I would be happy to do so.
I would also like to point out that The Hunts Post has incorrectly quoted me in the search for a charity. I had indeed been contacted by The Hunts Post with an offer of a �99 voucher, which I declined. However, I did suggest that the reporter should speak to the town clerk to see if the voucher could be used to support one of the Mayor's charities, which are all worthwhile.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 6 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 7 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 8 Letter of the Week: Brexit gain for food bank!
- 9 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 10 Wildlife group wants to hear about grass snake sightings
Councillor GINA CRUICKSHANK
Lib Dem, Hartford East
Huntingdon Town Council