99p - I stand by my view
IN response to the two letters published on November 4, I would like to say that I consider myself to be neither an elitist nor stuck up, and have had lots of contact with many of the residents I represent in Hartford East who are also very dismayed at th
IN response to the two letters published on November 4, I would like to say that I consider myself to be neither an elitist nor stuck up, and have had lots of contact with many of the residents I represent in Hartford East who are also very dismayed at the choice of shop that has taken over the Woolworths store.
There are already a Pound store and a good Savers store, which could be affected by the new competition.
I do agree with Roy Crosby that being employed is a happier position than being without work. However, it would have been more beneficial to have had a store that was not similar to those we already have.
The high street is currently full of the same and, as the new 99p store has used a large retail space, this, in my opinion and also of many of those I represent, could have been used by a store that we are lacking. I hope that no small business is affected by this new store, risking loss of jobs to those currently employed.
You may also want to watch:
If both your correspondents, Roy Crosby and John Carter, would like to meet to discuss my original letter, I would be happy to do so.
I would also like to point out that The Hunts Post has incorrectly quoted me in the search for a charity. I had indeed been contacted by The Hunts Post with an offer of a �99 voucher, which I declined. However, I did suggest that the reporter should speak to the town clerk to see if the voucher could be used to support one of the Mayor's charities, which are all worthwhile.
- 1 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 2 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 3 Harrowing video warning from seriously ill 20-year-old who survived Covid
- 4 Here's your 'thank you' messages for school staff
- 5 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 6 First patients in St Ives to receive Covid-19 vaccination
- 7 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 8 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 9 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
Councillor GINA CRUICKSHANK
Lib Dem, Hartford East
Huntingdon Town Council