92-year-old killed in house fire is named
AN elderly man died following a house fire in Little Paxton last week. John Howells, 92, was pronounced dead at the scene after the fire at his house in Gordon Road at 7.46am on Wednesday, April 30. Firefighters said they entered the house and rescued a
AN elderly man died following a house fire in Little Paxton last week.
John Howells, 92, was pronounced dead at the scene after the fire at his house in Gordon Road at 7.46am on Wednesday, April 30.
Firefighters said they entered the house and rescued a man from a first floor bedroom.
Attempts were also made to resuscitate Mr Howells.
You may also want to watch:
A neighbour described Mr Howells, who is believed to be a former war veteran, as "a very independent and private man who kept himself to himself".
Police cordoned off the area surrounding the house and a fire investigation found the cause of the fire had not been suspicious.
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
An investigation into the cause continues.
The fire damage was confined to the upstairs bedroom where Mr Howells had been, and smoke damage was caused in the upstairs hallway.
Dave Warren, incident commander, said: "This is a tragic incident in which an elderly man has died. Firefighters rescued the man from the first floor and extensive efforts were made to try and resuscitate him, but these sadly failed.
"I would like to pass on my condolences to his relatives and friends."
An inquest was opened and adjourned in Huntingdon yesterday (Tuesday).