92-year-old killed in house fire is named
AN elderly man died following a house fire in Little Paxton last week. John Howells, 92, was pronounced dead at the scene after the fire at his house in Gordon Road at 7.46am on Wednesday, April 30. Firefighters said they entered the house and rescued a
AN elderly man died following a house fire in Little Paxton last week.
John Howells, 92, was pronounced dead at the scene after the fire at his house in Gordon Road at 7.46am on Wednesday, April 30.
Firefighters said they entered the house and rescued a man from a first floor bedroom.
Attempts were also made to resuscitate Mr Howells.
You may also want to watch:
A neighbour described Mr Howells, who is believed to be a former war veteran, as "a very independent and private man who kept himself to himself".
Police cordoned off the area surrounding the house and a fire investigation found the cause of the fire had not been suspicious.
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 5 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 6 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 7 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 8 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 10 Godmanchester community pulled together throughout the pandemic
An investigation into the cause continues.
The fire damage was confined to the upstairs bedroom where Mr Howells had been, and smoke damage was caused in the upstairs hallway.
Dave Warren, incident commander, said: "This is a tragic incident in which an elderly man has died. Firefighters rescued the man from the first floor and extensive efforts were made to try and resuscitate him, but these sadly failed.
"I would like to pass on my condolences to his relatives and friends."
An inquest was opened and adjourned in Huntingdon yesterday (Tuesday).