50th anniversary A truly golden couple
A Sawtry couple are celebrating after reaching their golden wedding anniversary. John and Jean Garner married at Coates Methodist Church on August 3, 1956 – where they had met eight years earlier. Incredibly, the minister who performed the ceremony, Rev
A Sawtry couple are celebrating after reaching their golden wedding anniversary.
John and Jean Garner married at Coates Methodist Church on August 3, 1956 - where they had met eight years earlier.
Incredibly, the minister who performed the ceremony, Rev Harry Johnson, was the same man who had married both their parents some 25 years earlier and christened both John and Jean.
John represents Sawtry on Huntingdonshire District Council as an independent councillor and was headteacher of Sawtry Junior School for 18 years. Jean has spent her life teaching children of all ages, including a spell as deputy head at Thorpe Junior School.
You may also want to watch:
Jean said: "I knew it was a special day when John agreed not to go bowling in the evening! I think the secret to a long marriage is staying active - doing lots of things together but also lots of things apart."
Jean, 75, and John, 74, have two daughters, Elizabeth and Karen, and four grandchildren, Simon, Lauren, Miles and Bethany. Jean's mother Ada is 97.
- 1 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 5 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 6 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 7 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 8 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners