43-year-old man is Forty Foot Road's latest victim
A BODY found in a submerged car in the Forty Foot drain is that of 43-year-old Paul Atkinson, who has been missing since early December. Police discovered the body trapped in a Renault car on Boxing Day but it was not clear how long the vehicle had been i
A BODY found in a submerged car in the Forty Foot drain is that of 43-year-old Paul Atkinson, who has been missing since early December.
Police discovered the body trapped in a Renault car on Boxing Day but it was not clear how long the vehicle had been in the water near Puddock Bridge, between Chatteris and Ramsey.
Residents feared the worst when they heard the police helicopter circling over their homes.
"I thought, here we go again, it's Christmas and someone else is in the water," said nearby resident Graham Hall, pictured, of Bank Farm Cottages.
"I heard the police helicopter and then saw a police Range Rover going up and down the road looking for something.
"The road was so quiet I cannot understand why a car would go off the road and end up in the water. We drive up and down here daily and people still overtake us. It doesn't seem to matter how many people die or how many warnings are given, it is just madness the way they drive."
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Woman dies in crash on London Road in St Ives
- 3 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 4 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 5 House set alight in Brampton
- 6 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 7 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 8 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Pedestrian killed crossing road
Leslie Dixon said: "It's just a year since the little lad died in the water and a few weeks later three workers were killed in the drain right outside my house. It is a drain of death and my heart goes out to the family of the latest victim."
Mr Atkinson, from Ely, was reported missing on December 18 by his father. He was driving a silver Renault Laguna at the time.
* The county council has agreed to install speed cameras along the road at a cost of £300,000.