Wednesday, February 6, 2013
TOMMY Martin is already back in Canning Town and training hard for his third professional fight after beating journeyman boxer Jason Nesbitt in Peterborough on Saturday night.
The 18-year-old from St Neots won his second pro contest with a convincing performance of technical boxing in front of more than 250 ‘Team Gun’ fans in the city.
And now, Martin, who is contracted to the world famous TKO stable in the east end of London, under coach Johnny Eames, will feature on the undercard of a Frank Maloney promoted show on March 15. The venue will be York Hall in Bethnal Green where the boxer knocked out Lithuanian Artur Saniuk in the third round of his first pro fight last year.
About his latest win, the welterwight said: “It was the best I have ever boxed, but it’s my job now.” Martin, who showed good discipline to beat the 40-year-old Nesbitt by winning all six rounds of the fight at the Peterborough Arena, added: “I felt his right in the third round but the boss said keep your concentration and keep out of trouble.”
Martin certainly doesn’t seem one to panic. “It was technically a fantastic performance,” said his proud father, Andrew Martin, who remarked it was his son’s most mature performance so far.
“Nesbit is a scapper but he’s a hard man and – it was a real test for Tommy,” he said.
More than 250 fans made the trip from St Neots to cheer on Martin, who turned professional last summer after learning his art at St Ives Boxing Club under coach Steve Whitwell.
Martin settled quickly behind his jab and worked well on the inside as well, finding the gaps with body shots and uppercuts to keep Nesbitt on the defensive. Nesbitt did swing his right hand, but Martin avoided the swipes and punished the Birmingham boxer with two-fisted flurries. Nesbitt ended the fourth and fifth rounds under fire and was relieved to hear the final bell.
Martin wasn’t the only former St Ives club fighter in action on the night. Martin’s former trainer Whitwell was in the corner of Sam Barron, from Eye, who made a winning debut as a pro on the light-heavyweight Cello Renda’s undercard.
Barron, 24, beat Guildford’s Louis Byrne and Whitwell said: “Sam had his last bout for us in June and is currently being trained by his father Gary who is an ex pro. He had help in the corner from myself and ex-world champion Chris Pyatt.It was a great start to his pro career and he showed great maturity and composure for someone with no professional experience. It was also great to see Tommy at the show in his second pro bout and it was a very proud night for me having spent so much time with these lads through their amateur careers.”
More of Whitwell’s protégées will be in action at Burgess Hall on March 23 when the St Ives club holds an amateur dinner show which will feature up to 15 fights. Tickets are available from Whitwell on 07918 104819.