LOCAL FOOTBALL: Warboys are the talk of the Town after following up promotion success with trophy triumph

PUBLISHED: 09:08 09 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:08 09 May 2017

Warboys Town celebrate their triumph in the Peterborough & District League Chairman's Championship Shield. Picture: RWT PHOTOGRAPHY

Warboys Town celebrate their triumph in the Peterborough & District League Chairman's Championship Shield. Picture: RWT PHOTOGRAPHY


A super season came complete with a silver lining for Warboys Town.

Chris Whitfield’s side followed up their promotion to the Peterborough & District League Premier Division by lifting the Chairman’s Championship Shield - a knockout competition for Division One teams - last Friday night.

Warboys eased to a 3-0 success against Oakham United Reserves in a final played at the Branch Bros Stadium in Peterborough.

“It’s been a brilliant season and it was great to end it with a trophy,” said player-boss Whitfield.

“We’ve got a group of players who are willing to work hard and also capable of playing good football.

“It was a perfect performance in the final in many ways. We didn’t give Oakham the opportunity to get into the game. To win promotion and lift a cup only a few days apart is rare, but certainly a great feeling.

“Myself and Martin (assistant, Lloyd) are proud of everything the boys have achieved and we’re already looking forward to next season.

“We’re also thankful to the people who work hard behind the scenes, our sponsors and supporters.”

Warboys took command of the Shield showpiece with two early goals. Leading scorer Michael Cafferkey’s ninth minute opener quickly being followed by Carl Taylor’s header.

The match was then delayed when Warboys defender Matt Duncan was briefly knocked out in a collision with his own goalkeeper, Liam Gaynor. A paramedic was called to treat Duncan, who was then taken to hospital by ambulance, but later allowed home.

Cafferkey slotted into defence in his absence and helped Warboys keep a clean sheet. They were rarely threatened in all truth and sealed victory when Matt Brown struck from a corner on the hour.

Warboys completed their season with a Division One clash at Sutton Bridge this Saturday.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hunts Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hunts Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hunts Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 15:08

The demolition of a bridge which caused the A1 to be closed at Brampton over the weekend was completed more quickly than expected, with the road opening an hour ahead of schedule.

Yesterday, 14:13

A man has been detained during an incident involving armed police at a house in Huntingdon.

Yesterday, 11:09

Two people had to be released from the wreckage of their vehicles in separate incidents on Huntingdonshire’s roads.

Yesterday, 10:29

A youngster from St Neots is attempting to raise money to allow him to volunteer in Costa Rica and Nicargua,

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter