Thermal imaging camera spots chimney fire at Huntingdonshire thatched cottage

PUBLISHED: 10:33 13 January 2014 | UPDATED: 10:33 13 January 2014


Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to detect a small chimney fire affecting a thatched cottage.

Fire crews from Huntingdon, St Ives and Peterborough were sent to School Lane in Kings Ripton at 7.05pm on Friday after a fire started in a chimney stack.

When the firefighters arrived the homeowner thought the fire was extinguished, but the crews used a thermal imaging camera and found a small fire within the chimney.

They stripped back some of the thatch and used chimney rods to extinguish the fire by 8.10pm.

More news stories

Householders in the district are being encouraged to think harder about recycling.

Fri, 15:45

A talented cook from Great Stukeley who made it all the way to the final of popular television series Masterchef has spoken of her ‘bizarre and inspiring’ experience on the show.

Fri, 14:03

Parents and supporters of Sawtry Village Academy gathered to show their support for the launch of a new school campaign.

Fri, 11:48

A nursery in Huntingdon has been forced to close by Ofsted while an investigation takes place into an incident.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter