St Ives ‘flies on food’ takeaway prosecuted for hygiene offences

10:40 25 February 2014

HDC logo

HDC logo

Archant

Flies on food, risks of cross contamination in the kitchen and poor standards of cleaning and disinfection were found at a St Ives takeaway, which has been prosecuted for breaking food hygiene rules.

John Wong, of St Ives Chinese and Thai Takeaway on the Broadway, pleaded guilty to eight food hygiene offences at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court on February 19.

The case was brought by Huntingdonshire District Council following a visit by its environmental health protection officer, Belinda Betham, on September 2 last year. During a routine she witnessed cross-contamination risks in the kitchen, flies on food, blocked drains in the rear yard, and poor standards of cleaning and disinfection. Staff were seen placing a dirty mop bucket on a draining board, and later preparing food on the same area without cleaning and disinfecting the surface. Mouldy and unfit food were also found and disposed of.

HDC said following the inspection, Mr Wong agreed to close the premises for cleaning and disinfection. Similar conditions were found an inspection in December 2012.

Mr Wong, who apologised for not managing the takeaway properly, was fined £2,400 and ordered to pay £600 costs and a victim surcharge of £120.

Councillor Robin Howe, cabinet member for healthy and active communities, said: “We always try to work alongside food businesses and offer advice and support to ensure high standards are maintained in food safety – prosecutions are rare. In this case there were clearly some very serious issues, and public health and safety must come first.”

More news stories

Buckden Primary School pupils at Grafham Water

Pupils from Buckden Primary School breathed new life into Grafham Water’s drought garden as part of National Gardening Week.

Yesterday, 16:49

Two former Kimbolton School teachers charged with a number of sex offences against children are due to appear at Peterborough Crown Court on Tuesday (May 3).

Yesterday, 14:00
Huntingdon Bowls Club refurbishment, (l-r) Secretary Mike Anderson, and Chairman Mick Verlander,

Bowls club members have celebrated the opening of their redeveloped clubhouse after suffering three break-ins and a fire last year.

Yesterday, 13:17

Fire service investigators believe an electrical adaptor was to blame for a blaze which broke out at a pub in Eaton Socon on Thursday night (April 28).

Most read stories

Local business directory

Cambridgeshire's trusted business finder
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hunts Post e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up