Quick-thinking volunteers save cygnet which swallowed fishing line
PUBLISHED: 13:57 08 August 2017
Volunteers and vets saved the life of a young swan after it had swallowed a fishing line in Ramsey marina.
Fenland Animal Rescue were called to the marina on July 30 after receiving a call from a firefighter concerned that the cygnet had the line and its weights hanging out of its beak.
When volunteers arrived it was found that the cygnet had swallowed the line, as the fishing float had become dislodged.
However the volunteers were unsure which of the six cygnets needed help but it soon became clear and the distressed animal was rushed to Cromwell Veterinary Hospital, in Huntingdon.
The cygnet under went X-rays which showed she had numerous weights and a fishing hook lodged in her throat.
A spokesman for Fenland Animal Rescue said: “Under gas and air, the weights and hook were gently removed along with the fishing line and we took her back to our rehab centre, in Whittlesey, for 24 hours to allow time for the anaesthetic to wear off.”
Two days later she was returned to the marina but after being unable to find her family it was decided to leave her in a crate until her family returned.
Boat owners then took care of her overnight until they located mum and dad the following day and the cygnet was reunited with her siblings.